Court Procedures

Requesting A Continuance

If you need time to consult with an attorney to explore the impact of a conviction, or for other demonstrable good cause shown, you may request a continuance. If your request is granted by the judge, you will be given a new court date.

It is unlikely that the court would grant more than one continuance.


Trials are conducted as a "trial to the court" before Judge Frandson. There are no juries. The city has the burden of proof. The rules of evidence are followed. The city will be represented by its municipal prosecutor. If a defendant wishes to hire an attorney or have witnesses testify, it is his/her responsibility to have the attorney and witnesses present at the time of trial.

Paying Forfeitures (Fines)

If a forfeiture is imposed, the clerk will hand you a reminder slip showing the citation number, the amount owed, the due date, and the payment address. Judge Frandson always provides at least 60 days to pay fines. He may grant additional time to pay under extenuating circumstances.

After a guilty finding the court will ask if you need time to pay your forfeiture. The Judge will make every effort to create an acceptable payment schedule that will allow you to satisfy your financial responsibility without hardship. If you do not comply with the agreement or appear back in the court for a hearing relating to your ability to pay, you may lose your driver’s license for a period of up to two years. The court may seek other collection options, or you could be detained in the Jefferson County Jail for a certain number of days (one day for each $50.00 that remains unpaid).  


It is very important that defendants understand the nature of the charge(s) against them, their legal rights, and the possible consequences. If we are notified that a defendant needs an interpreter, one will be provided at no charge to the defendant.

Police Department

The police department is not the municipal court and police personnel have no control over the municipal court's processing of matters. Court questions and correspondence should be directed to the Municipal Court Clerk, and not to the police department.


Fort Atkinson Municipal Court only handles municipal ordinance violations. Ordinance violations are not criminal offenses, therefore the court will not appoint an attorney to represent you. Whether you choose to hire a lawyer is entirely up to you.


Judge Frandson cannot speak to either party (the city or the defendant) about the merits of a pending matter unless the other party is present. Written communications to the Court must be copied to the opposing party.