The City of Fort Atkinson Fire Department (FAFD) is seeking highly motivated, dedicated fire service personnel to establish an eligibility list to fill six new full-time Paramedic/Firefighter positions. FAFD has begun the application process to become a Paramedic Level EMS department. As of January 1, 2023, the City of Fort Atkinson Fire Department will become a full-service fire and Paramedic level emergency medical services department. FAFD will staff two modern, well equipped ALS ambulances using career personnel and an additional reserve ambulance staffed by paid-on-call volunteers or callback personnel.
In 2023, we are projected to respond to over 1400 calls. We provide Fire and EMS services to the City of Fort Atkinson (pop. 12,445) to portions of the Towns of Koshkonong, Jefferson, Hebron, Sumner, and Oakland (pop. 6,448), covering a total of 88 square miles.
We are a combination department consisting of full-time, career Firefighter/EMTs, a full-time Fire Chief, and paid-on-call volunteer Firefighters. Starting annual salary for Paramedic/Firefighters is $55,328.00 to $60,999.12 (2022). Lateral transfers may be available for applicants with significant prior career experience.
A City of Fort Atkinson Employment Application form is required to be submitted as part of this position recruitment. Applications may be obtained online or from the City of Fort Atkinson Fire Department at 124 Milwaukee Avenue West, Fort Atkinson, WI between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Application materials can be submitted in person, via email, or USPS to: Daryl Rausch, Fire Chief, 124 Milwaukee Avenue West, Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin 53538-2020. Applications must be received by Oct. 21, 2022, at 1600 hrs.
- Competitive wages with WRS (Public Safety w/o SS) and Medical, Prescription and Dental
- 48/96-hour schedule with generous vacation and 10 holidays, and 48-hrs. Personal Time (See Employee Benefits Statement)
- Paramedic/AEMT crews
- Rotation during shift between primary ambulance and first alarm Engine company or backup ambulance
- Overtime and callback opportunity
- Limited Inter-facility duties
(Must possess or have the ability to obtain by time of hire)
- Valid driver license with a satisfactory driving record • High School or Equivalency diploma
- WI State or National Registry Paramedic (EMT-P). Attach License with application.
- State of Wisconsin Entry Level Firefighter or ProBoard certified Firefighter I
ENTRY LEVEL FIREFIGHTER CANDIDATES WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIGN AN AGREEMENT STATING THAT OBTAINING FIREFIGHTER 1 CERTIFICATION WITHIN 12-MONTHS IS A CONDITION OF CONTINUED EMPLOYEMENT. FAILURE TO ACHIEVE CERTIFICATION WILL LEAD TO DISMISSAL FROM THE POSITION.
- Wisconsin or ProBoard certified Firefighter 2
- Wisconsin or ProBoard certified Driver/Operator
- Wisconsin or ProBoard certified Fire Officer 1
Candidates must successfully pass oral interviews, fitness for duty physical, drug screen and background investigation (to include criminal and motor vehicle history). Those candidates possessing other pertinent certifications and/or training will receive additional consideration. The full job description is available here.
Veterans are encouraged to apply. The City of Fort Atkinson is an Equal Opportunity Employer